Friday, June 15, 2012

Serendipity

From Wiktionary:
 Noun
serendipity (countable and uncountable; plural serendipities)
  1. An unsought, unintended, and/or unexpected discovery and/or learning experience that happens by accident and sagacity.
  2. A combination of events which are not individually beneficial, but occurring together produce a good or wonderful outcome.
    Serendipity is when you find things you weren't looking for because finding what you are looking for is so damn difficult. – Erin McKean, speech at TED
    The most random serendipity brought the two of us together, and now, we are happily married! If I was just 15 seconds slower, I'd have never met her!
    Serendipity is digging for worms and finding gold. – a character in an episode of Max Headroom
Yesterday was a momentous occasion; TWill had their first accidents in the house. It was really my fault, because these guys seem to be potty trained, but I was experimenting with their small dog bladders and tried to stretch walk time to 6 hours. They're totally fine overnight, so I figured, "Why not?" Bad idea when you have two unneutered males with little bladders who've been super diligent about hydrating due to the blazing heat outside. It was probably also a bad idea for me to take a shower right before taking them outside, you know, running water sounds and all. I blame my poor judgment on sleep deprivation (which is also my fault).

Anyway, someone -- I'm not going to name any names... partially because I'm not sure who did it -- wet the bed. And not the bed with the super easily washable cover and water resistant lining. Noooo, the bed with the water-resistant-maybe-on-the-side-but-definitely-not-the-top cover and the super fluffy delicate stuffing middle section that I have no idea how to wash without destroying. Of course.

So, I soaked the top with Nature's Miracle (I swear by that stuff) and let it dry. A band-aid for the evening. Now today I actually have to fix the situation. The cover is fine, but the center innards may be toast. The foam on the bottom and sides is still good though. Then it hit me. I would be going to Phydeaux, my favorite local pet supply store today. I could get a new bed there! But wait... I'm also kind of broke and dog beds are pricey. Then it REALLY hit me.

Steven and I had to replace our pillows because they had flattened into little useless, rectangular, poly-filled pancakes. We had just (somewhat grudgingly) bought new pillows for that purpose. We now had a surplus of two pillows! Huzzah! So now the plan is to purchase a Molly Mutt "armor" water resistant liner for it at Phydeaux (which is miraculously significantly cheaper than even Molly Mutt's own website), put the pillows (still in their protectors... I have dust allergies and am offended by drool stains... don't judge) in the center of the bed, continue to use the foam around the edges and on the bottom, stick the whole thing in the armor, and put the machine washable cover back on. Wow, I do love a good run-on sentence full of parenthetical interjections, don't I? Longer-than-necessary story short, I'm feeling like a sharp cookie for figuring out this serendipitous solution, and for about 15 bucks the bed will be good as new. Maybe I'll eventually replace the cover with something cuter too.

Brugge modelling the yet unscathed (but I'm not holding my breath) bed, with its stylish Molly Mutt Cover.
Also, just to be clear, I haven't been compensated by any of the companies mentioned here, I just really like their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment