Sunday, June 3, 2012

Welcome! And an explanation...

The time has finally come for this Crazy Dog Lady (CDL) to start a blog. I've subjected my Facebook friends to enough posts about all things dog since adopting my own in April 2011, and now that I'm fostering two more, this only makes sense.

Allow me to explain the name choice. What do fabrics have to do with dogs? Well, not much.

"Lace" is to represent the first two lives I saved by foster and adoption. In July of 2008, I found a puppy on the Louisiana/Texas border while on a trip. Long story short, I named her Tulah (short of Tallulah Belle), she came home with me back to North Carolina, and I fostered her until she was adopted in late August. She's a pit bull and blue lacy (lacy... lace... get it?) mix, and since I've been fortunate enough to keep in contact with her adoptive family, I've gotten to see her blossom into a wonderful dog.

Tulah, being dogsat by us, September 2010
The second "Lace" dog is my own girl, Brugge (pronounced "brooj"). I'm a big doberman fan, and when I saw this wiggly dobie mix at the shelter I couldn't resist. She's named after the city in Belgium (also known as Bruges in English). I studied abroad in Lille, France a few years back, and my boyfriend, Steven, came to visit. While there, he was able to tag along on a program field trip to Brugge with me, and we just loved the city. While there, I mused that if I ever rescued a male Doberman, I would name him Brugge. Fast forward to April 2011, and we had been homeowners long enough for my puppy fever to reach the breaking point. After trolling rescue sites, I saw my girl, went to visit, thought about it for a few days (But we're not ready! We don't have a fence! But... but... buuuuut...), and it was all over. Steven reluctantly agreed, on the condition that he got to name her. So Brugge it was. Fun fact: The city of Brugge is known for its beautiful, handmade lace.

Brugge, 4/7/12

And last, but not least, this past Wednesday, after 3 hours of coaxing and a lot of patience, I rescued these little dudes off a busy, rural road near my parents' neighborhood. I've named them Willem and (Tiny) Tim, and will be fostering them until I can find them a forever home. They were coated in hundreds of ticks (more on that in a future post), Tim was emaciated, and they both were pretty scarred up. I placed a "found" notice with the local shelter, took them to a vet to be scanned for microchips (they didn't have them, surprise surprise), and then to a 24-hour vet to be examined and have their first round of vaccines. Now, on Day 4, they're recovering from their ordeal and getting stronger every day. Very sweet and happy little guys. My dad came up with their celebrity couple name of "TWill."

Crumby cell phone photo of Willem (left) and Tim (right) on Day 2 of their rescue, 5/31/12

 So there you have it, Lace and Twill. I'm excited to use this blog share all the trials, triumphs, and learning experiences I encounter as a dog owner and foster. I'm passionate about animal welfare, animal rescue, fostering, and (possibly most importantly) responsible pet ownership. I hope this will end up being an informative, helpful, and maybe even entertaining resource for all you dog lovers out there!

- M


No comments:

Post a Comment